Respect is a fundamental value within the Montessori educational philosophy. Maria Montessori emphasized the importance of respect for self, others, the environment, and the learning materials.
This principle manifests in the Montessori classroom through the emphasis on courteous behavior, the expectation that students will take care of their environment and materials, and the recognition of the rights of others to work undisturbed. Children are taught to handle materials carefully, to move quietly and purposefully within the classroom, and to communicate with their peers and teachers in a respectful manner.
- 1Montessori Quotes on Respect
- 2Research and Critiques on Respect in Montessori
- 3Comparison to Other Methods
- 4Glossary of Montessori Terms
- 5Please help to translate this page into your local language